Unfortunately, nobody is immune to neck pain. One study suggests that four in ten Americans suffer from neck pain on a regular basis. Whether it is mild, moderate, or severe, neck pain can interfere w…Read More
At Naples Massage and Neuromuscular, it’s all about you. Our team of dedicated massage therapists wants to ensure you get the best care possible and the most benefit out of your massage treatments. In addition to the care we provide at our massage clinic, we also believe that optimal health and wellness starts with you. Self-care is one of the best ways to not only complement the care you receive with us, but also to effectively manage all aspects of your whole-body wellness.
Our Commitment to You Now and Always
The entire Naples Massage team is wholeheartedly committed to our clients now and always. We understand that these uncertain times have everyone feeling fearful for their health and the health of their loved ones. With so much uncertainty during the coronavirus pandemic, we want our clients, as well as our friends and neighbors in our community, to have access to the health and wellness care they need, as well as the resources they can use to relieve pain, reduce stress, ease tension, and support their well-being at home.
We Are Here for You
We are keeping a close eye on things as they continue to unfold locally, within the state of Florida, and nationally. We will be keeping you updated on our massage services moving forward, but if you have any questions or concerns, please reach out to us. We are here for you. Explore our self-care tips below, and be sure to check back often, as we will update these tips and hints regularly.
Simple Self-Care Practices to Include In Your Daily Routine
Having sound self-care strategies in place can benefit all levels of your wellness. Use these common questions and tips to help guide you in your daily self-care routine.
How Can I Relieve Pain At Home?
When you’re in pain, it can make performing even the most basic movements and activities a challenge. Whether you have a kink in your neck, or you’re managing chronic pain in your back, lower back, or extremities, self-care can make a big difference in how you feel.
Practice these strategies to alleviate aches, pains, inflammation, and tension.
For acute issues, practice the RICE Method: Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation
- Rest the injured area to encourage healing and prevent secondary injuries.
- Ice the affected area to alleviate swelling and inflammation.
- Compress the area to support, stabilize, and ease swelling.
- Elevate the area above the heart to ease swelling.
- Stay hydrated to ensure your muscles and tissues get the oxygen and nutrients they crave for optimal function and healing.
- Limit intense physical activities when experiencing pain to prevent further injury and to give your body a chance to heal.
- For sore, stiff, tense muscles, apply heat as long as there is no swelling or inflammation. When in doubt, stick with ice.
Make Stretching a Regular Thing
Stretching your muscles daily is a great way to relieve tension and tightness, alleviate soreness and aches, improve flexibility and range of motion, all so you can feel better and move more comfortably. Keep in mind that stretching shouldn’t feel like a chore — it should be fun! Even a few minutes of stretching your neck, shoulders, mid-back, and hips can make a huge difference in how you feel.
Here are a few tips to guide you in your daily (and safe) stretching routine:
- Warm up first to make it easier for your muscles to stretch with less resistance. March in place, do a few jumping jacks, do some wide arm circles, or hop on your stationary bike or row machine.
- Don’t stretch to the point of pain — stretching shouldn’t hurt! Gently stretch until you feel mild tension. If it’s painful, reset and then try the stretch again.
- Focus on your posture, whether you’re stretching while standing, sitting, or bending. Good form can prevent injury while ensuring you’re getting the most benefit from your stretch.
- Pay attention to your breathing and be sure to breathe while you stretch, don’t hold your breath.
- Stretch often to get the most out of your stretching routine. Whether you practice one to three times a week, or twice daily, the more you stretch the better you will feel.
Keep Topical Pain Relievers On-Hand
Sometimes the best remedy for sore, achy muscles and joints comes in a tube or a jar. Having topical pain relievers on-hand can provide instant relief for pain, tightness, and stiffness. You can find an array of massage-therapist approved topical creams and gels at your nearest grocery store or online.
Here a few options to choose from:
- Tiger Balm
- Arnica oil
In addition to these, essential oils have soothing properties that can alleviate many symptoms, including pain, muscle tension, tightness, inflammation, joint pain, and headaches. Try these blends to ease your symptoms:
Staying active is an excellent way to reduce pain, muscle tension, and stress. Getting your heartbeat going gets the blood flowing and stimulates the release of endorphins, the body’s “feel good” hormones. An endorphin release helps to naturally relieve pain and tension so you can feel better. Additionally, moving and getting regular exercise is a great stress reliever.
Make Time For You
One of the best ways to relieve pain and stress is to make time to focus on you. Whether this means you get a soothing massage, you meditate, you go on a solo beachside bike ride, or you simply curl up with your favorite book for 30 minutes, give yourself a break. Doing so can allow you to breathe, recenter, and find stillness to ease your daily stresses, alleviate tension, and more.
Stay Connected with Your Massage Therapist in Naples, FL
At Naples Massage and Neuromuscular, we are dedicated to your health and wellness now and always. We want you to get the most out of your massage treatments, which is why practicing daily self-care is an excellent way to complement the care you receive with us. What’s more, self-care is simply a great way to reduce pain, stress, and tension, so you can feel and move your best every day. If you have any questions or would like to arrange your next massage session, please give us a call or reach out to us online.